Pages

Friday, July 06, 2007

American Idol: The Final Chapter

This time of year always brings a bit of fond memories and sadness to my life. Yes, I'm talking about that time-honored tradition of standing in line for hours on end, baking your brain and your vocal cords in the 1000 degree sun, singing for 15 seconds, only to be turned away in the largest scam ever pulled on America - The American Idol audition process.

Having auditioned twice for the show (once in 2003 and again in 2006), I can speak volumes about what is wrong with the show. Granted, as I sit here listening to Kelly Clarkson's third album, the show obviously works for some people. Kelly is probably the only one who has broken free from the AI juggernaut and created a name for herself away from the show. I give her plenty of credit for taking her time on the show and transforming it into a lengthy career.

The photograph to the right shows the beginning of the end for me. Danielle Livingston (middle) and Jeremy Shoop (far right) both auditioned for the show as well. Danielle has an amazing voice with incredible range, probably one of the best out of everyone I know (check out her MySpace page), yet she didn't make it through the first round. Jeremy, whom I've only heard with his band (Just Cause), has a decent voice, and he made it through to the third round of auditions. He was eventually turned away by Randy, Simon and celebrity judge, Olivia Newton-John.

Why? Who knows. Maybe he didn't have the right look, although Blake Lewis made it through. Maybe his back-story wouldn't be as heart-wrenching as Kellie Pickler's story. All I know is that when the audition process comes to San Diego at the end of the month, I won't be there. Will I lose any sleep over it? Nope. The giant casting call process known as American Idol can roll right on through California without me. I need to gear up for my cruise ship performances anyway...

No comments: