Pages

Monday, June 26, 2006

Contest Update


I competed in the 2006 Seabee Days Karaoke contest this past weekend, and I walked away with the 1st place prize.

During my qualifying round, I sang "At This Moment" by Billy Vera & The Beaters. Fortunately, the sound system was set up in a way that allowed me to head out into the crowd, which always helps during these competitions. The only problem with a song like that one is most people don't know it, so you really have to turn on the vocal talent to amaze the crowd. It's a song that fits my range, so I was pleased to be able to perform it.

After the qualifying round, they announced the finalists, and I was fortunate enough to be one of them. I made it to that point two years ago when I attempted this contest, but didn't make it into first, second or third place. Plus, a lot of the same singers were back this year, so I knew that I had my work cut out for me. Joey, the guy that I lost to during my performance two years ago, was performing again so beating him was tough.

During the finals, we were allowed to change our songs (which was not allowed two years ago), so I switched mine over to "Give Me One Reason" by Tracy Chapman. It's typically a crowd favorite, and I can give more soul than Taylor Hicks on his best day. The crowd joined me out on the grass for some dancing and fun, which allowed me to play up to the judges a bit. The dancer pictured to the right was my favorite, as she smiled and danced the entire time. I enjoy people who can get into it, without getting shy. It's one of the reasons I enjoy performing so much.

Perhaps one of my favorite things to try and do is forget the words, but continue on with the song so people don't realize what happened. I was fortunate enough to have that happen to me during my second song, but everyone I talked to didn't notice, so I was able to get away with it. So much for practicing...

After the finals were completed, we took a 10-minute break while they tallied the scores. The karaoke DJ called myself and Joey to the stage to sing a third song, so the crowd had someone to entertain them while they waited. Joey performed a song that seemed to go on forever. They had the scores done before he was even finished with his song, but they wanted me to sing again, so I performed "I'm Movin' On" by Rascal Flatts. It's a very touching song, that has some very personal attachments for me, so I enjoy introducing new people to it.

Once we were done, the hosts took the stage to announce the winners. The second and third place winners were called, and then they called me to the stage to receive the honor of being the 2006 Seabee Star, along with $300 in cash. It's one of the few times that I've won a cash prize for singing, and it feels great!

To everyone who supported me, thanks for your love! It was needed!

No comments: